Ultraviolet water purification is the most effective method for disinfecting bacteria from the water. Ultraviolet (UV) rays penetrate harmful pathogens in your home'swater and destroy illness-causing microorganisms by attacking their genetic core (DNA).
The germicidal energy of ultraviolet light destroys illness-causing microorganisms by attacking the DNA at their genetic core. This eliminates the organisms' ability to reproduce, rendering them harmless. UV water purification systems eliminates 99.99% of the harm viruses and bacteria like E.coli can cause.
Is UV water safe to drink?
Limitations in UV Water Filters. As remarkable as the technology is, ultraviolet water purification by itself is not enough to render water completely safe for drinking purposes. ... UV light is of little use in eliminating other contaminants inwater such as chlorine, heavy metals and VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds).
“UV is a much better way to disinfect than chlorine. You don’t have to handle harsh chemicals. There is no chemical injection system to worry about or maintain, and there’s no need to have a preparedness, prevention, and contingency plan in place for chlorine leak incidentsThe advantages of using a UV system are many:
· Effective – Destroys 99.99% of microorganisms
· Chemical free – no harmful chemicals need to be added
· Environmentally Friendly –Go green! UV is an environmentally friendly alternative to chlorine disinfection and has no disinfection byproducts
· Essentially trouble-free – once installed, annual service is usually all that is required
· Reliable – works night and day, 24/7, consistently keeping water safe
· Safe – no handling of chemicals